Follow Me on Pinterest
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you consent to our use of cookies unless you have disabled them.

eMag | Directory | Fresh Meet | Events Search | TNT Jobs | Dating

The Essential guide to that tricky thing they call Income Tax, read on...

So you have made it over here, you’ve found a place to live, you’ve carved out a few fun places to go and you’ve met a whole heap of new friends – Oh and of course, you've got a job!! But boy do they tax you?! Well, did you know that 97% of you will be due a Tax Rebate (they call it Tax Refund over here!). A quite staggering statistic we are sure you will agree. So all that hard slog could just about pay you some divvies!! And what’s more is the money will be coming from the government, whoa!! So how do you go about it? Well, you could contact Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and try and get it back yourself. Be warned though, it’s like pulling teeth!! Go on, go and try it (if you like pain!) OR you could do the smart thing and let us do it all for you.

It costs you nothing to find out, we don't charge you a thing unless we get you a refund - and if we do, then we only charge you a small commission which we take from the refund, so you don't need to pay for anything and you will still have cash leftover. So, we hear you saying, "It costs me nothing to find out, nothing if I am not due anything and if I am, your fees come out of my refund?!" Yes- it's what's called a NO-BRAINER!! Apply here now!

Questions, questions, questions…, so you have a few questions. Here are the main ones we keep hearing from you:

Q: When can I apply for a tax refund?
A: You can apply when you have finished work, are leaving the UK, or at the end of a tax year (5th April).

Q: What do I need to claim my tax refund? A: We will need to see any P45's or P60's you may have received from your employer's (CIS certificates if you are in the construction industry).
If you do not have any of these documents, we will obtain them for you.

Q: My employer hasn't given me any P45's and/or P60's, what do I do? A: don't worry, as we said earlier, we can obtain these for you, just remember to give us as much information about your employments.

Q: How will I know if I am due a tax refund? A: There are (of course) many reasons why you could be due a tax refund, the more common ones are:

1. You are from overseas and by this very simple fact, usually qualifies you for a refund.

2. You haven't worked a full tax year (tax years here run from 6th April to the following 5th April).

3. You have been paying "Emergency Tax" whoa, a big bad thing, it means through no fault of your own, you have been paying too much tax every week/month etc. Emergency tax codes look like this 1100L W1, 1100L M1 or 1100L X

Q: I am leaving the country, can you send me my monies to my bank in my own country? A: Yes, anywhere in the world and it is free of bank charges.

Q: My friends said they got all of their taxes back, is that true? A: Some people, who are from overseas, but work for a UK company and get taxed in the UK but don't actually physically work in the UK (you did ask), are usually the ones that get ALL their taxes back. We do those sort of refunds too. Most often though you will be due some sort of Tax Refund, so get in touch and let us get it for you.

Q: I earned less than the single persons allowance for the tax year (£11,000 2016-2017), do I get a full refund? A: Yes!

Q: Can I claim any expenses? A: Generally speaking, you can claim for anything, as long as you needed to spend it to enable you to do your job and your employer hasn't reimbursed you. For example, they make you buy a laptop to do your job, so, yes you can claim for the laptop.

You have to wear a special uniform, eg Nurse, Doctor, Chef etc, then you can claim for costs such as laundry, cost of equipment etc.

You can't claim for travel to and from home to work though, but you can claim for travel once you're at work and your employer requests that you travel somewhere else to do some work.

Money & UK Taxes

Cost of living

Cost of living
Cost of living in London

London isn't a cheap city and when you move to the UK your biggest expense will be accommodation.

Find out more

Limited Companies

Limited Companies
Limited Companies

What is a Limited Company and how can it reduce your tax?

Find out more

Tax Agencies

1st Contact Tax Refunds

1st Contact Tax Refunds

1st Contact Tax Refunds has over 15 years' experience in claiming back your overpaid tax, so you can rest assured that your claim is in good hands.

Find out more

Anglo Pacific

 Anglo Pacific

Tax claims can be time-consuming and involve lengthy correspondence with the Inland Revenue.

Find out more

Tax Refund Calculator