Follow Me on Pinterest
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you consent to our use of cookies unless you have disabled them.

eMag | Directory | TNT Travel Show 2017 | Events Search | TNT Jobs

A ruthless Manly have ensured there will be no fairytale NRL grand final finish for Brisbane skipper Darren Lockyer.

The injured five-eighth watched helplessly from the sidelines as his youthful side went down 26-14 at the Sydney Football Stadium against a disciplined Sea Eagles outfit, who will now play their third grand final in five years next Sunday.

The Sea Eagles were hugely impressive and thoroughly deserved winners, but will be sweating on the availability of Tony Williams and Steve Matai for the decider.

The pair were placed on report after being penalised for two challenges on Jharal Yow Yeh in as many second-half minutes.

Williams was sanctioned for using a swinging arm to bring down the Queensland winger and Matai for catching Yow Yeh with his knees as he unsuccessfully tried to touch the ball down for a try.

Lockyer, who sat the game out due to a shattered left cheekbone, finishes a glittering career for the Broncos on 355 games and four premierships and was sorely missed by his team.

A litany of soft penalties really hurt the Broncos as a pair of tries from William Hopoate, four-pointers from Matt Ballin, Brett Stewart and Kieran Foran and three goals from Jamie Lyon sealed the victory in front of a crowd of 31,894.

Boosted by the extra week off, the Sea Eagles came racing out of the blocks and opened the scoring in the fourth minute through Ballin.

The Broncos conceded two soft penalties allowing Manly to march their way down the field and the hooker dived over from dummy-half to give his side the perfect start.

From the resulting kick-off the visitors almost hit back immediately when Corey Parker's restart cannoned off the crossbar and was regathered by Peter Wallace in front of the posts.

However, Manly held firm in defence to usher Yow Yeh into touch to snuff out the danger.

Jack Reed then went close to grabbing his side's first try of the night when he hauled in Matt Gillett's kick, only for teammate Dale Copley to knock the ball out of his hands and the chance went begging.

That setback appeared to knock the stuffing out the young Broncos, and Copley then capped off a nightmare 60 seconds when he misread a pass from Reed in front of his own posts.

The ever-alert Daly Cherry-Evans latched onto the loose ball and teed up Will Hopoate who scored his easiest try of a superb season.

Things got worse for Anthony Griffin's side in the 21st minute when Manly stretched their advantage through Stewart's try following a sharp pass from Cherry-Evans.

The visitors had the last word of the half when Yow Yeh produced a stunning take from a Gillett bomb, leaping over Michael Robertson before twisting in mid-air to ground the ball over the line.

The Sea Eagles started the second half in similar fashion when Hopoate dived over for his second seven minutes after the restart.

The Broncos hit back when Wallace bulldozed his way over from close range 10 minutes later, only for Foran to seal the game on the hour-mark when he got in front of Gerard Beale to grab a Cherry-Evans kick and score near the posts with Lyon adding the extras.

Griffin's side battled well until the end and Gillett was denied a try 10 minutes from time by an amazing tackle from Lyon, before Copley added some respectability to the scoring with a try in the corner late in the game.

Digital Mag

Latest News

Stay connected on social networks
Like us on Facebook
Follow TNT on Twitter