This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you consent to our use of cookies unless you have disabled them.

eMag | Directory | TNT Travel Show 2017 | Events Search | TNT Jobs


A Spanish café owner has been arrested following the horrific death of a customer who was accidentally served neat cleaning fluid instead of white wine.

Andres Lorente, 50, died after suffering internal burns to his windpipe, throat and stomach when he was served undiluted dishwasher detergent which had been put inside an empty wine bottle and stored in a fridge.

The incident took place on Sunday at a bar in the city of Benicarlo, in the province of Castellon. Local newspaper El Periodico Mediterraneo reports that Lorente felt a burning sensation after taking his first sip of the poisonous brew. Witnesses said he drank water to cool the burning in his throat - an action which may have contributed to the corrosive effect of the cleaning fluid in his body.

A ambulance was called and paramedics tried to resuscitate the divorced dad-of-two at the scene. He was then taken to Comarcal de Vinaros hospital, where he died.

Jose Antonio Martin, director of the gastroenterology department at Castellon General Hospital, said that ingesting even a small amount of such a concentrated liquid could be lethal. "It starts burning immediately," he told El Periodico Mediterraneo. "If it is potent it can burn and puncture the oesophagus and stomach."

A post mortem examination is due to take place. Meanwhile the café owner is expected to appear before an investigating judge for further questioning after he was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and then released on bail.

The bar was closed after the incident, and both the bottle containing the industrial cleaner and the glass the dead man drank from were taken away for expert analysis.

 


Talkback


Man dies after drinking dishwater detergent served as wine
Digital Mag

Latest News

Stay connected on social networks
Like us on Facebook
Follow TNT on Twitter