More often than not it’s a dog being hailed as a hero, but this time a cat has saved a human from impending disaster.

The cat went “berserk” to alert its owner to a blaze overnight at a house in Wilmot, north-west Tasmania.

Tasmania Fire Service officers were called to the house about 10.45pm (AEST) on Monday.

Fireman Gary Johnson said a frying pan with oil in it had been left on, sparking a fire which caused extensive damage to the kitchen and a ceiling.

“The female occupant was alerted to the fire by the family cat,” he said.

“It was going berserk, and started carrying on, jumping on the bed and making noise – it woke her up.

“I think it was just trying to find a way out for itself.”

The home’s smoke alarm was not working.