Some 800 sheep died after eating the toxic Darling pea, which sprung up after bushfires across the state.
North West Local Land Services regional veterinarian Bob McKinnon told the Sydney Morning Herald: “It’s like dealing with a thousand heroin addicts. They lose weight to start with and then get staggery, the progression gets worse, they get uncoordinated and depressed, they don’t know where their feet are.”
The animals exhibit behavior such as ramming their heads against objects until they die.
Image via Getty