Mayrhofen is easily accessible from Munich, Salzburg (both about 2.5 hours drive) and Innsbruck (30 minutes drive).
Chances are you’ll get your flight cheaper if you book it early. A lot of the flights are released six-eight months in advance so keep your eye on the airline websites for the cheapest prices.
From Munich airport
- Follow signs to central/ zentrum area (blue signs marked Z )
- Upon reaching this shopping area, follow signs to U-bahn / Banhof (underground station).
- Buy a ticket to Munich main train station ( Haupt banhof).
- The journey takes 40 mins.
- Upon reaching the main station, buy a ticket for Mayrhofen, via Jensbach. (The final destination of this train will be Innsbruck or Milan)
- The journey time to Jensbach is around 90 mins. This being Germany, the train will leave on time!
- Upon reaching Jensbach, change trains. Get on the red Zillertal-bahn. There’s a separate platform for this service. Trains leave every hour. This is the train that goes all the way up the Ziller valley to Mayrhofen. The journey time is approx 1 hour. Mayrhofen is at the end of the line.
From Salzburg Airport
- Take the No. 2 bus shuttle to Salzburg main train station (Haptbanhof). It leaves 15 minutes except on Sundays and public holidays when it runs every 30 minutes and takes about 20 minutes.
- From Salzburg, take a train to Mayrhofen, via Jensbach.
- Upon reaching Jensbach, change trains. Get on the red Zillertal-bahn. There’s a separate platform for this service. Trains leave every hour. This is the train which goes all the way up the Ziller valley to Mayrhofen. The journey time is about one hour. Mayrhofen is at the end of the line.
By Airport Shuttle Service:
Four seasons travel (+43 512 584157) operate an eight-seat minibus shuttle service to Mayrhofen, but require adequate bookings to do this.
Snowbombing is not your average festival and will be a bit more expensive than pitching a tent in the middle of a muddy field in Europe when it’s supposed to be sunny.
However it does not have to burn a hole in your wallet because Mayrhofen offers all types of accommodation from 4-star hotels all the way down to B&Bs meaning you can do it on a shoe-string if you need to!
Another great option is the TNT Village which is very affordable and sociable.