Gaby Scanlon was rushed to hospital and diagnosed with a perforated stomach on Thursday after complaining of breathlessness and severe pain.

Police are now investigating what happened at Oscar’s wine bar in Lancaster where Ms Scanlon was celebrating her 18th birthday.

“The investigation is still in its early stages and we are still interviewing witnesses to establish the full facts,” a Lancashire police spokeswoman said.

“The premises involved have fully cooperated with all agencies and have suspended drinks involving liquid nitrogen.”

Management from the wine bar said they were “tremendously concerned” for the teenager.

Liquid nitrogen freezes anything it comes in contact with and can cause serious cold burns. Authorities have warned it should not be inhaled or ingested.

Scanlon is now in a serious but stable condition in hospital.

Image via Thinkstock