The Non-Lucrative Residence Visa is a type of residence that gives permission to reside in Spain to third country nationals, but does not include the option to carry out professional or work activities.

It is a type of residence visa that can be applied for by citizens of non-EU countries, or countries to which EU legislation does not apply, and who enjoy full rights of residence and freedom of movement. To obtain the Spanish non lucrative visa two things are necessary:

– Apply for the visa at the Spanish Consulate in the country of habitual residence.

– Enter Spain with a visa and application for a physical residence card at the police station in the place of residence in Spain.

However, it is necessary to make an appointment at the Spanish Consulate to submit the application and all the documentation; and always one application for each member of the family unit, although applications from minors must be submitted by their parents or legal guardians. And only in certain cases may they be presented by a legal representative, duly accredited by a power of attorney.

This application must always be submitted in the correct form and will have a period of 3 months for its resolution, which will begin to run from the time all the required documents are provided, given that the Consulate itself may request additional documentation or a personal appearance.

In the event of a positive decision by the consulate, the applicant must receive the visa in person within one month from the date of notification.

Documents required for the application for a Non-Profit Residence Visa Spain:

– National visa form, completed and signed.

– A recent passport photo with white background.

– Valid passport or a travel document recognized as valid in Spain. It must be valid for at least one year and have at least two blank pages.

– Photocopies of all pages of the passport are required.

– Proof of payment of the established fees. If the application is rejected, the fee will not be refunded.

– Those over 18 years of age must provide a certificate or certificates of criminal record issued by the country or countries in which the applicant has resided in the five years prior to the visa application. The certificate is valid for 3 months from the date of issue.

– Public or private health insurance arranged with an insurance company authorized to operate in Spain. In the case of private insurance, the applicant must present the general and specific conditions of the insurance and, in addition, proof of payment of the corresponding fees.

– A medical certificate which must be worded as follows: “This medical certificate declares that Mr/Ms (…) does not suffer from any of the following conditions. (…) does not suffer from any of the diseases which may have serious public health consequences, as defined in the International Health Regulations 2005”. This medical certificate is valid for 3 months from the date of issue and may be requested from medical centers in Spain or in other countries.

Justify the financial means necessary to cover expenses during the stay and, if applicable, those of family members for one year, in accordance with the following amounts:

1- For maintenance of applicant, on a monthly basis, 400% of the IPREM (Public Indicator of Multiple Effect Income), which in 2021 is 564.90 euros.

2- For the support of each of the dependants: 100% of the IPREM per month.

3- The availability of sufficient economic means will be accredited by the presentation of documentation (bank certificates, pay slips, employment contracts, rental contracts, pension payments) that accredits the receipt of regular and sufficient income or the possession of an asset that guarantees this income. The income may be received in euros or in another currency.

– In the case of an application for a residence visa for family members, it is also necessary to present a marriage or partnership registration certificate and, in the case of descendants, a birth certificate. In the case of minors who are going to live in Spain with only one of the parents, a notarized authorization from the other parent or an official document proving sole custody is required.

All official documents (civil registration certificate, criminal record certificate, documents justifying custody) must be legalized. Documents in a language other than Spanish must be translated by an official translator. At the time of submission of the application, you must bring all original documents and copies of all documents to be checked against the originals.