This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you consent to our use of cookies unless you have disabled them.

eMag | Directory | TNT Travel Show 2017 | Events Search | TNT Jobs


Two people have been flown to Wellington Hospital in critical condition after inhaling hydrogen sulfide at a tanning factory in Wanganui.

Another 19 people were exposed to the gas, and taken for examination at Wanganui Hospital,  reports The New Zealand Herald

Hydrogen sulfide is a colourless, poisonous, flammable gas which has a strong smell, similar to rotten eggs and can affect lungs and breathing.

People in the area said the first they knew of the incident was a very strong smell of sulphur.

One local resident said the smell was "enough to make you dry retch'' while a shopowner nearby said: “I heard the sirens and came outside, and that's when I noticed the bad smell. It was very strong.''

The condition of the 19 other people taken to Wanganui Hospital is not yet known.

Image via Getty


Talkback


Twenty-one Kiwis hospitalised after chemical spill
Digital Mag

Latest News

Stay connected on social networks
Like us on Facebook
Follow TNT on Twitter