A recent study showed emoji to be the fastest growing language in the UK, stating that 62% of people are using... Read more...
25th Oct 2012 4:00pm | By Editor
Met Police have revealed the alleged victims of sexual abuse by Jimmy Savile has risen to 300, while Scotland Yard has said it is following 460 lines of inquiry in relation to the Jim’ll Fix It host and other celebrities, which include some who are alive.
Police Commander Peter Spindler said their Operation Yewtree unit has talked to 130 people and recorded 114 allegations.
The BBC reports Scotland Yard sources saying they were investigating "figures of high standing", who may have assisted Savile in committing abuse, covered for him or taken part.
No arrests have been made.
"What they are looking at clearly are high-profile individuals who may also have taken part in abuse against children or teenagers or assisted Jimmy Savile in some way, tried to organise the abuse," BBC home affairs correspondent Danny Shaw reported.
Last week detectives revealed the police inquiry, Operation Yewtree, had identified 200 victims.
The cases involving Savie, who died last year aged 84, are believed to have taken place over a 40-year period and involve mostly young girls.
Savile's great-niece Caroline Robinson, now 49, has accused him of sexually abusing her when she was 12.
"When I was reading about the victims in the paper it was like reading a mirror image of what I went through," she told Radio 5.
Labour leader Ed Miliband called again for an independent inquiry to “not just the BBC but all the institutions that frankly allowed Jimmy Savile to get away with the terrible things that he appears to have done".
Leader of the Commons Andrew Lansley said he cannot see "any merit" in such an inquiry and that police, BBC and NHS investigations to run their course.
Images via Getty
The Boeing 777-300ER was travelling from Hong Kong to Los Angeles when the emergency took place on Wednesday. All 276... Read more...