7th Jun 2012 12:29pm | By Jahn Vannisselroy
Controversial swimmers Nick D'Arcy and Kenrick Monk could face sanctions from the Australian Olympic Committee after posting photos of themselves on the internet posing with high powered guns.
D'Arcy and Monk posed with the weapons in a gun shop in the US where the Australian swimming team has been training and competing before the Olympics start next month.
Swimming Australia (SA) ordered the pair to remove the photos from their Facebook and Twitter accounts under their social media policy.
The AOC said it will await SA's investigation before considering sanctions.
Australia's chief de mission for the London Games, Nick Green, described their actions as foolish and a pre-Games lesson on the perils of athletes using social media.
"These postings today are foolish and clearly inappropriate for members of the 2012 Australian Olympic team," Green said in a statement.
The AOC and SA both have take-down clauses in their social media policies all athletes must adhere to.
"Anything that is not in the Olympic spirit, or does not follow our guidelines will come down," Green said.
"There is no such thing as privacy on social media. Anything that is put up will be in the public domain.
"We say again to our athletes, do not put anything up on social media that you would not share with your mother or your grandmother."
D'Arcy and Monk are on their way home from the US and will be called in by SA to explain themselves upon their return.
D'Arcy, 24, is smirking in the photo as he holds up a pair of automatic pistols, while Monk smiles broadly holding two pump-action shotguns across his chest.
D'Arcy was kicked off the 2008 Australian Olympic team after assaulting former swimmer Simon Cowley in a bar, leaving him with multiple facial injuries.
After being ordered to pay Cowley damages, D'Arcy avoided payment by declaring himself bankrupt.
Last year, Monk told police he was the victim of a hit and run accident but later confessed he suffered his injuries when he fell off his skateboard.
SA said it ordered the swimmers to remove the photos as soon as they saw them on Thursday morning.
"Swimming Australia in no way condones these photos, and does not condone the posting of inappropriate content on Facebook, Twitter or any social media platform," SA said in a statement.
"This is a timely reminder for athletes to be more responsible to themselves, the public with whom they engage through social media, and the reputation of the sport."
D'Arcy is a medal hope in the 200m butterfly in London, while Monk will compete in the 200m freestyle and Australia's well credentialled 4x200m freestyle relay team.
A 23-year-old man from Essex who boasted on Twitter that he'd lied to the police about being...
England has cruised into the ICC Champions Trophy final with 13 overs to spare against an under-par...
Bone crunching does not even begin to describe this tackle made by a high schooler fro Wanganui this...
The USA's National Security Agency boss Keith Alexander has claimed that controversial...
Serial sex attacker Adrian Bayley will spend at least 35 years in prison for the brutal rape and...