It’s all happening at the TNT/STA Travel Show today, from 9.30am-5.30pm. There’s a huge buzz as... Read more...
22nd Feb 2012 9:04am | By Editor
Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez looks set to return from his self-imposed exile after apologising to the club for his conduct in recent months.
Tevez has not played for the English Premier League leaders since September after falling out with City boss Roberto Mancini following his refusal to warm-up during a Champions League defeat at Bayern Munich.
The Argentine star returned to his homeland soon after the bust-up and refused to go back to Eastlands for more than three months.
But Tevez was unable to negotiate a move during the January transfer window, with potential transfers to AC Milan, Inter Milan and Paris Saint-Germain all falling through, and he finally flew back to England last week.
Mancini, who initially said Tevez was "finished" at the club, has maintained he would only consider the player for selection again after an apology, and the 28-year-old has finally bowed to the Italian's demand.
Tevez has also withdrawn his appeal against City's fine of six weeks' wages for gross misconduct, which was due to be heard by the Premier League in the coming days.
In a statement released by City on Tuesday, Tevez said: "I wish to apologise sincerely and unreservedly to everybody I have let down and to whom my actions over the last few months have caused offence.
"My wish is to concentrate on playing football for Manchester City Football Club."
While away, Tevez had been found guilty of gross misconduct and City took a firm line over his potential sale.
Tevez, who had twice previously submitted transfer requests, was estimated to have lost $US9.3 million ($A8.75 million) in wages or bonuses over various matters.
He failed in his initial appeal against the fine of six weeks' wages for gross misconduct - thought to be around 1.2m - to the club board but lodged another with the Premier League.
His withdrawal of that appeal should ease his return to action with the title-chasers.
Tevez sparked further controversy shortly before his return to the UK last week when he accused Mancini of treating him "like a dog" in Munich but that matter also seems to be closed.
City's statement read: "Carlos Tevez has today apologised to all concerned for his recent conduct.
"Carlos returned to the football club last Tuesday, following a three-month absence from duties, without permission.
"Carlos has also withdrawn his appeal against the club's finding of gross misconduct, which was due to be heard by a Premier League panel in the coming days.
"He has since begun a training program designed to return him to optimum fitness."
The former Manchester United and West Ham United forward is ineligible to play in Wednesday's Europa League tie against Porto, having not been registered for the competition.
But he could feature for the Premier League leaders against Blackburn Rovers and Bolton Wanderers on February 25 and March 3.
You might as well get your skateboard, longboard, bike and your scooter and put them back in the garage where they... Read more...
The animal charity plans a protest on Saturday, November 1, that will involve about 100 supporters "lie nearly nude in a... Read more...
A poll conducted by ComRes as part of Faith in the World Week gave 1000 people a choice of 10 songs to choose from and... Read more...
Australia’s Academy of Science has hit out at the Aussie government’s draft plan to help conserve the Great Barrier... Read more...