Driver’s Licence:

Australian, New Zealand and South African drivers need an international driving permit to legally drive in many European countries.

It might be easier to exchange your home licence for a UK one. You’ll be able to do this through the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency as long as you have proof of a UK address.


 If you have a bingle it could save you a fortune, plus it’s illegal to drive without insurance in many European countries. Herts Insurance has a ‘Walkabout’ policy specially for van tours, and Downunder Insurance  has a campervan policy too.


For more on van tours see:

A to Z of the European van tour

A van tour of Europe