The London riots spread last night’s, with looting and violence escalating across Hackney, Ealing, Croydon, Clapham and Notting Hill and erupting in cities outside London.

Shops were looted, burned and vandalised as gangs of teenagers roamed the streets of London last night, seemingly out of control.

450 arrests have now been made and an emergency Cobra meeting called, which has seen David Cameron cutting short his holiday and returning to the UK.

Three arrested for murder in London riots
London riots threaten England V Holland match

The riots began in Tottenham on Saturday night following the fatal shooting by police of Mark Duggan, 29. Copycat violence spread to Brixton on Sunday night and

Hackney, east London

Rioting reigned for more than three hours on the Pembury Estate in Hackney as 300 masked people burned cars, looted shops and threw petrol bombs at riot police.

Burning debris  – including motorbikes, bins and sticks – was piled around the estate.

On Mare Street, shops were looted.

A police officer in a solitary parked car was attacked shortly before 9pm. His windscreen was smashed with bricks and the car was pelted with sticks and bottles as a man shouted, “kill the police”.
Today a clean-up is being arranged in the borough.

“CALLING HACKNEY RESIDENTS: Hackney #riotcleanup up 9:00AM, meet Hackney Central Station! Bring bin liners, Gloves & Positive attitudes!” tweeted Vulavox.

Croydon, south London

In Croydon, residents were forced to jump from burning buildings as masked gangs set fire to shops, businesses, cars and homes. Plumes of smoke could be seen for miles.

Family business Reeves, a furniture shop that has stood in the area for more than 100 years, was burned down.

Store’s owner Trevor Reeves said: “It’s just completely destroyed. Words fail me. It's just gone, it's five generations. My father is distraught. It's just mindless thuggery."

A woman was filmed jumping from a burning building which had been set on fire by rioters.

A 26-year-old man was injured in a non-fatal shooting.

Clapham, south London

A groups of 1000 rioters – many in masks – raided a Debenhams store and a number shops in Lavender Hill. A jewellery shop was also looted.

Residents were told to stay indoors and the youths ran riot.

"We don't want people getting hurt by their bombs and missiles," an officer said.


Peckham, south-east London

500 rioters vandalised shops, lit fires and attacked police on Peckham High Street. A fire was started in a Greggs bakery.

A nearby bus was also set on fire and bins and an abandoned vehicle were set ablaze in Lewisham.

Ealing, west London

Gangs of rioters gathered opposite Ealing Broadway Tube, throwing bricks at local shops, starting fires in the street and setting cars alight.

Bethnal Green, east London

A Tesco was looted and two officers were injured. A shop on Roman Road was also broken into and robbed. Police said there had also been looting in Newham.

Fulham, west London

Gangs looted electrical store Curry’s.

Hammersmith, west London

Further reports of looting. Shopkeepers in Shepherd’s Bush barricaded their businesses to try to keep out troublemakers.

Woolwich, south London

PC World was looted  and rioters made off with large flat screen TVs and other electronic goods.

Camden and Chalk Farm, north London

Gangs of youths roamed, buildings were vandalised.

Enfield, north London

40 firefighters were called to fight a huge blaze at a Sony warehouse in Solar Way.