Playsation gamers are going to have to wait longer to play their friends around the world at games like Call of Duty and Killzone.
Sony’s PlayStation Network might not be fully up and running online until May 31, the company announced today.
Network has been now been offline for more than two weeks after an “unexpected and unexplained outage”, and the firm has admitted that the
subsequent revelation of 24.6 million SOE accounts also being hacked has stalled its hopes to relaunch PSN
PlayStation Tokyo spokesperson Shigenori Yoshida told Bloomberg Sony was still “uncertain” when it could resume the full suite of PSN services, including music service Qriocity.
He said that the plan to be back online by May 31 was “unchanged” – although his comment comes after Sony said it wanted to restart a partial PSN service by the end of last week.
Sony spokemsman Nick Caplin attmepted to clear up the confusion surrounding the dates.
“When we held the press conference in Japan last week, based on what we knew, we expected to have the services online within a week,” Caplin said.
“We were unaware of the extent of the attack on Sony Online Entertainment servers, and we are taking this opportunity to conduct further testing of the incredibly complex system.
He said PSN members would
be offered a choice of two from five free PlayStation 3 games as an
apology, whilst PSP users will be offered two from a choice of four
He reiterated that Sony was “working around the clock” to end
the down time that has caused frustration for some 77 million PSN
gamers across the globe. Caplin didn’t give any details on which games
would be offered, but said details would be arriving “very soon”.