Strange things often happen in the world of business, and the fortunes of a company can change dramatically seemingly overnight. In the past couple of weeks, a story from the New York Stock Exchange has highlighted this point very well – the stock in question being a company called AAC Holdings.AAC Holdings’ main operating unit is a company well known in America thanks to heavy promotion of its services – American Addiction Centers. American Addiction Centers runs seven specialist drug and alcohol rehabilitation centers across the United States, where a lot of people regularly seek help with detoxing from addictive substances, including prescription painkillers.The company listed on the New York Stock Exchange in October, and it was clear investors liked the way president and co-founder Jerrod Nathan Menz and his team were doing things. With an increase in stock value of 150%, it was seen as one of the US’s hottest stocks.While AAC Holdings only became a public company in October 2014, it had previously been operating as an incorporated company called Forterus Inc.In late July 2015, everything changed for the thriving business, as an event in 2010 came back to haunt them.July 2010 – Gary Benefield Dies At A Better Tomorrow Rehab CenterOne of the seven rehab clinics owned by American Addiction Centers is A Better Tomorrow treatment center in Murrieta, California. It is at this clinic in July of 2010 that the story that would bring down AAC’s stock successes begins.A patient named Gary Benefield arrived at A Better Tomorrow the day before his 53rd birthday. He was a coal power plant worker who had traveled to Murieta via Los Angeles, having flown there from his home in Arizona. Aside from the unspecified addiction issues which led to him admitting himself at A Better Tomorrow drug and alcohol treatment center, Gary Benefield was plagued by emphysema and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and had also recently been discharged from a hospital stay having had a case of pneumonia. As a result of these conditions, Gary Benefield was on oxygen prior to traveling, but his tank was emptied at the airport.In his weak state, Gary Benefield arrived at A Better Tomorrow rehab center and was admitted by staff there, who gave him anti-anxiety drugs and antidepressants – but did not give him oxygen.A report from an investigation by the California Senate Office of Oversight and Outcomes says that when Mr Benefield slept that night, nobody came to check on his condition after midnight, because the staff who would usually do this were asleep.There was no better tomorrow for Gary Benefield, who the following day, on his birthday, was dead.