Passport? Check. Suitcase? Check. Camera, toothbrush, and a year’s worth of clothing? Check, check and check. Money? Spent.

Despite all its benefits, travelling usually sets your savings account back a few decimals. A good way to reverse the trend, however, is to do your homework beforehand and secure yourself a job

Working is probably not the first thing that comes to mind when travelling abroad. But taking on a casual teaching position in Australia is a smart idea for visitors looking to supplement their extended holidays.

“The teaching sector is generally always busy and in demand for teachers and assistants,” says Nicola Robertson, from Select Education’s Brisbane office.

Rates of pay will usually start at about $19 an hour, however a casual teacher could expect to earn as much as $200 or more a day, especially in the bigger cities like Brisbane and Sydney.

Never worked in education or taught in the early childhood sector before? No worries.
“We are looking for fun, flexible and passionate staff to work with children,” says Robertson.
“While experience is preferred, it is not always necessary.”

Although casual teaching in this country is easy to come by and prior experience is not always required, it’s best to arrive as prepared as possible.

“All teachers and assistants are required to have full police clearance and working with children checks carried out,” adds Robertson. So be prepared to pay a fee and wait for the international post.

There will also be no harm in being able to prove you’ve got qualifications such as a Bachelor of Education or equivalent, NNEB or Certificate 3 in child care studies.

There’s generally enough jobs knocking around for teachers to be able to find work just about anywhere in Oz, but if you’re planning on moving around a lot, be prepared to get used to filling out lots of forms.

“Australia does not have a national curriculum,” says Robertson, “therefore each state varies with registrations.”

Yep, that’s right. You have to re-register every time you want to work in a different state or territory. That involves submitting your qualifications and police checks, as well as CV, visa/passport and birth certificate.

But as long as get in there early and have all your paperwork, you should be good to get straight into the classroom and let the learning begin.