Being a female traveller can be daunting at times, although more often than not, travelling alone can be an amazing and personal experience.
To help with the process, overseas shipping company PSS Removals has developed a few hints and tips.
– Always start by planning your housing options and transportation before you leave.Where you decide to live and your methods of travel are very important, so always try to book your tickets as far in advance as possible for cheaper prices.
– When taking the train, avoid sleeping in empty compartments. You’re safer sharing a compartment with a family or group of friends. If available, rent a couchette for overnight trains. For a small charge, you may be able stay with like-minded roommates in a compartment that you can lock, in a car monitored by an attendant. Chances are you’ll wake-up well rested with your belongings intact.
– If looking for cheap and temporary accommodation while you search for something more permanent then book a hostel with a minimum of 4 people in the same room, or take a look at Air BnB.
– Everyone needs to communicate with others directly and sometimes, after days of walking around a new city; you may find yourself needing human contact. By staying with other travellers in the same room, at a sociable hotel or comfortable apartment, you could share stories about the city or the joys of travelling and you could even meet new friends in the process.
– Avoid becoming a couch potato and don’t be scared of talking to strangers. Wherever you might be and whenever you feel alone, open up to the people you meet – whether that be waiting for the bus or sitting on the beach. Always smile,ask for help or comment on a particular topic that may lead to a longer dialogue and develop that into a meaningful relationship.
– When it comes to men, do your research, learn how to deal with them in your new country and don’t be shy! If you never converse with men, you could be missing out on a chance to learn something new, but use your instincts to choose the man and choose the setting.
– Take your cue on how to dress from local women. Never be overly polite if you’re bothered by certain men and always create boundaries to protect yourself from potential threats. Use appropriate facial expressions, body language and a loud firm voice to fend off any unwanted attention.
– Should a man come too close, say “no” firmly and loudly in the local language. Furthermore, if you’re arranging to meet a new male friend, choose a public and recognisable place.
– If you are worried about street crime,you could try wearing a money belt to keep your money, important documents, passport and credit cards safe. In a worst casescenario, should someone steal your purse, you won’t lose as much.
– When you use cash machines, withdraw cash during the day on a busy street, not at night when it’s dark with few people around.
– Avoid going down small, dark alleys and play it safe while navigating. If your gut feeling tells you that a certain route might be dangerous, consider an alternative.
– Be self-reliant and well prepared, so that you don’t need to depend on someone unless you want to. Carry cash, a map, a guidebook, and a phrase book.
– Walk purposefully with your head up; look like you know where you’re going. If you get lost in a dodgy neighbourhood then be savvy about whom you ask for help; seek out another women or go into a store or restaurant to ask for directions.
– Always keep in touch with friends and family on a regular basis – whether via social media, the telephone or good old letter writing, and let them know of your movements.
– Stay confident and worry less – positivity is the key to happiness. Should something go wrong, just relax, smile and create other plans to divert your attention away from it.
PSS International Removals is a family run company and their desire is to ensure that you receive a friendly, professional and stress free overseas move. They have specialised in international removals for over 32 years, so whether you are planning on sending a full or part household removal, excess baggage or a vehicle they recognise the importance in ensuring that their customers receive the same level of care and attention that they would expect themselves.
Contact them now for a free estimators survey, online moving and baggage quote.
To avoid travelling alone, book a trip with a group tour. For a great selection, see tnttoursearch.com