This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you consent to our use of cookies unless you have disabled them.

eMag | Directory | TNT Travel Show 2017 | Events Search | TNT Jobs


Rupert Murdoch has told the Leveson inquiry that there was a cover-up at News International over the phone-hacking scandal.

The News Corp chairman and chief executive claimed that he was "misinformed and shielded" from what was going on at the News of the World, and added that there had been a "cover-up".

When asked where the cover-up had come from, Murdoch responded: "I think from within the News of the World."

The media mogul went on to say that there had been "one or two very strong characters" on the Sunday paper and that they had forbidden people from talking to Rebekah Brooks and James Murdoch about phone-hacking practices.

He said that a News of the World editor was appointed and told to find out what was going on, but "never reported back that there was more hacking than we had been told". Though he did not name him, Murdoch appears to have been talking about former editor Colin Myler, who joined the paper in January 2007.

Murdoch told the inquiry that Myler "would not have been my choice", explaining that he was the choice of Les Hinton, News International's executive chairman at the time.

Picture: Getty


Talkback


Leveson inquiry: Rupert Murdoch admits to phone hacking cover-up at News International
Digital Mag

Latest News

Stay connected on social networks
Like us on Facebook
Follow TNT on Twitter