Mayor Boris Johnson announced revellers will be charged £10 to attend, with only 100,000 tickets being made available to the public.
Last year, around half a million attended attended, and he said that such huge numbers meant the event was “untenable”..
“London’s New Year’s Eve fireworks are phenomenally popular, not just in the capital, but across the world and we want to ensure it continues to be a safe, enjoyable and sustainable event for the long-term,” Mr Johnson said.
“After consulting with our partners, we are introducing ticketing to help manage crowd numbers and create a better experience on the night.
“For anyone without a ticket the fireworks are again being shown live and in full on television, meaning you can watch it in glorious HD colour without missing a single second.
“And don’t forget, there are hundreds of other New Year’s Eve celebrations to enjoy in bars, restaurants and clubs across the capital.”
You’ll be able to book up to four tickets per person from Friday 26 September.
Image via Getty