Two people were hospitalised after a curry-eating contest in Edinburgh proved too hot to handle.

A charity event at the Kismot curry house in the Scottish capital challenged diners to eat the 'Kismot Killer' without taking a drink to cool off. Competitors who took so much as a sip of milk would be disqualified.

The curry contained the bhut jolokia chilli, considered the world's hottest edible chilli. It is said to be 20 times more potent than some Cayenne peppers.

Kim Curie, a Korean exchange student at Edinburgh University, came second in the competition, despite being rushed to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary twice.

Man dies after dumpling-eating competition win

Opinion: Let Brick Lane's curry hustlers remain in place

Ambulances were called to the restaurant to aid two competitors – one of which was Curie – and she was rushed back to hospital again within hours of being released for more treatment.

A disclaimer warned diners that: "If you become ill due to the Kismot Killer… then under no circumstances are you entitled to blame Kismot Restaurant or any members of its staff."

It added: "If you die whilst eating or as a direct result of eating the curry, members of the table will share the cost of your Kismot Killer."

However, it appears the disclaimer was tongue-in-cheek as restaurant owner Abdul Ali admitted he was surprised by the extreme reactions to the dish.

"People were in agony," he said. "I might have overestimated what I could give them."

The restaurant's website proclaims: "At Kismot we are very proud of our world famous Kismot Killer… now the hottest curry in Scotland!" It also says that if a diner can finish the curry, they get it for free.

The event was in aid of the Children's Hospice Association Scotland.