Deadly razor-toothed worms ate through a couple while they were on a camping holiday.

The tiny worms began gnawing their way through the bodies of the 52-year-old man and his 50-year-old wife.

The couple became infected after eating fish carrying gnathostomiasis larvae. The worms could have killed them.

The pair, who were camping near Derby, Western  Australia, had  pan-fried the meal over a campfire, but the 1mm to 3mm worms survived.

The larvae can travel into the brain, other organs and spinal cord.

The horror marked the first time humans had been infected by the parasite in Australia, the country's Medical Journal said.