British tourist Lee Brown was beaten to death in Dubai as officers in a police station laid into him after arresting him for “intimidating behaviour”, it has been claimed.

Brit Lee Bradley Brown was on holiday in Dubai when he was arrested over a row in the luxury hotel where he was staying.

Lee Brown was apparently kept in custody for six days before he died.

The first the British tourist’s family knew about Brown’s death was from other inmates, who described in horror how a gang of police officers stripped and handcuffed the 39-year-old, before holding him down in a chair and beating him with their fists, feet and batons.

According to inmates, Brown was then dragged into another cell, where he took three days to die. They described watching guards put Brown into a body-bag and drag him out of the building.

Brown’s sister was told about the Dubai attack when another inmate found her phone number on a photocopy of the Brit’s passport which had been left in the cell, say reports.

His sister contacted the British embassy in Dubai who sent a representative to the police station. The official was allegedly turned away by officers who said that Brown did not want to see them.

According to the founder of a support group for alleged victims of injustice in the United Arab Emirates, Brown was probably already badly beaten at the point when an embassy official visited the station.

“It does look like he was in a bad condition and the police didn’t want the embassy to see him. It’s quite a failure of process,” a spokesperson said.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office has now confirmed Lee Brown’s death:

“We can confirm that Lee Bradley Brown has died whilst in police custody. We have spoken to his family and are providing them with consular assistance. The embassy is in close contact with Dubai police, who are investigating Lee’s death.”

Brown was apparently arrested over an argument at his £1000-a-night Burj Al Arab hotel after a maid entered his room unannounced. A source at Dubai Public Prosecution said he was arrested on April 6 over allegations of assault, intimidating behaviour and using abusive language.

Once taken to the cells, say inmates, Brown was denied legal access and even food and water.

“He suffered a really bad beating which must have caused some terrible internal injuries,” a source told the Daily Mail.

“The poor bloke stood no chance at all. At one stage he was thrown against the concrete wall of a cell and landed badly.

“Then the guards tried to hush it up and pretend nothing had happened.”

Dubai police have declined to comment, but an unnamed officer told Abu Dhabi paper The National that Brown was vomiting from the day he was arrested and that he had no bruises or signs of beating on him when he died.

Human rights group Amnesty International said they had heard of several cases of mistreatment by Dubai police.

“In recent years Amnesty International has received various reports alleging torture and other ill-treatment by police and security officials in the UAE,” a spokesperson said.

“We look to the UAE authorities to uphold their responsibilities to ensure the humane treatment of anyone held in detention, and to hold to account any officials who commit abuses.”

Brown’s sister, from Dagenham, East London, spoke of her sadness and anger at Lee’s death.

“‘We were told unofficially on Tuesday it was true, and the worst was confirmed today. We are unable to be out there. All we have had is one call from officials telling us that he’s dead.”

The investigation continues.