In a small farm in Germany, however, the risk-factor was somewhat more serious. Reuters have reported that methane gas released by farting dairy cows caused an explosion in a cow-shed in the town of Rasdorf.

Due to a build-up of gas emitted by 90 dairy cows over a number of weeks, the air had become so full of methane that a fire took place, causing roof damage and injuring one of the animals.

In a statement referenced by Reuters, police said: “A static electric charge caused the gas to explode with flashes of flames.”

Emergency services attended the farm and checked gas levels to reduce the risk of a further blast.

Cows are believed to emit up to 500 litres of the flammable gas each day.

Image credit: Thinkstock