Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has dismissed says Chelsea’s reported £22m bid for Spurs midfielder Luka Modric as “ridiculous”.
Redknapp claimed that he was not aware of an official approach for the 25-year-old Croatia international.
“Luka is not for sale,” said Redknapp, who remains determined to hold on to his best players this summer.
“But if there has been a bid of £22m that is ridiculous. There are people being sold for £20m who are not fit to lace Luka’s boots.”
Earlier on Thursday, Modric’s representative said the player would command a transfer fee in excess of the figure being quoted in reports.
“Luka is happy at Spurs but if an offer came in that was acceptable to the club and player, we would be willing to discuss it,” said agent Nikky Vuksan.
“In my opinion, £22m is a valuation that is too low for the player.”
Modric arrived at Spurs from Dinamo Zagreb in 2008, costing £16.6m. He quickly established himself as one of the first names on the teamsheet, and in his second season he helped the White Hart Lane club to qualify for Champions League for the first time.