Chelsea manager-in-waiting Andre Villas-Boas has opened the way for a move to the English Premier League by resigning as FC Porto coach.
Villas-Boas informed FC Porto that he was breaking his contract by paying a 15 million euros ($A20.39 million) departure clause.
FC Porto said in a statement that they had been “notified of the intention of coach Andre Villas-Boas to terminate his contract by activating the departure clause with immediate effect”.
The club added that the 33-year-old Villas-Boas’ contract “would be terminated after the payment of the required sum”.
Earlier Portuguese news agency Lusa reported that Villas-Boas informed the club by fax of his decision.
The payment of the departure clause would allow Villas-Boas to sign for Chelsea, without a coach since Carlo Ancelotti was sacked.
The Blues are seeking to replace Ancelotti, who was given the boot at the end of last season after failing to land any silverware, just 12 months after guiding the west London club to an historic double of league and FA Cup titles.
Porto president Pinto da Costa admitted on Monday the club could not prevent their manager from leaving if the required financial conditions were met.
“Villas-Boas has a contract and a clause of 15 million euros,” he said.
“If someone deposits 15 million euros into our account and he wants to go, we cannot do anything because it is something that is contractually specified.”
Villas-Boas also seems set to oversee another major off-season spending spree, with Chelsea chasing Brazilian striker Neymar, while the manager is keen to bring striker Radamel Falcao and midfielder Joao Moutinho with him from Porto.