Police officers and paramedics from the Wichita Police Department and Emergency Services in the American state of Kansas were called to a local residence on Friday after they received word that a large explosion had ripped through a house, severely burning one man.

It turned out that the home in question belonged to two brothers who had only that day found out that they had won over $70,000 in the state lottery and had decided to have a little celebratory drug party.

The two men had gone out and purchased rather large quantities of marijuana and methamphetamine and had been merrily consuming said narcotics in their home when the unfortunate accident occurred.

It is thought that the explosion occurred when the younger of the two brothers went to refuel the cigarette lighter he had been using to light his bong, pouring butane from a large jerry can contained in the kitchen.

“The butane vapour reached the pilot light in the furnace, and as you might expect, ka-boom,” said Sgt Bruce Watts of the Wichita Police Department.

The older brother was not injured in the explosion but was promptly arrested by police upon their arrival to the scene, the younger brother was taken to hospital suffering from burns on his chest and arms.

The police so far haven’t formally pressed charges against either of the brothers due to it being the President’s Day public holiday in the US, but they are expected to formally charge the pair later in the week.