A report into the shooting of Mark Duggan, whose death sparked the London riots, will be available within 24-hours, independent investigators have said.

The father-of-four was shot by police during an attempted arrest in Tottenham, in the north of the capital, on Thursday.
Three shots were fired in the incident, and a bullet was found lodged in a police radio.

The ballistics report will provide a forensic analysis in order to get a clearer picture of what happened, what shots were fired, and in which order.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has confirmed that a non-police gun was discovered at the scene and a bullet was found in an officer's radio.

But it is refusing to comment on a report in the Guardian that the bullet was police issue – and therefore had not been fired by 29-year-old Duggan.

A peaceful protest outside Tottenham police station after his death on Saturday was followed by a riot in the area, plus disorder and looting, which has spread across London.

An inquest into Duggan's death is due to open at High Barnet Coroner's Court on Tuesday.

Duggan was killed in Ferry Lane, Tottenham Hale, by Metropolitan Police officers working for Operation Trident, which investigates gun crime in the black community.

A police officer was injured in the incident and later discharged from hospital.

Faith leaders and politicians, including local MP David Lammy and Haringey Council leader Claire Kober, are among those expected at a vigil in Tottenham following the violence.

In an updated statement, IPCC commissioner Rachel Cerfontyne said "investigators are currently liaising with scientists at the Forensic Science Service regarding analysis on ballistics. We would anticipate being in a position to share verified results within the next 24 hours".

"I am aware of various media reports suggesting that we have not had adequate contact with Mr Duggan's family since his death," the statement said.

"Following my meeting with the family yesterday [Sunday] I am very clear that their concerns were not about lack of contact or support from the IPCC.

"Their concerns were about lack of contact from the police in delivering news of his death to Mark's parents.

"It is never the responsibility of the IPCC to deliver a message regarding someone's death and I have told Mr Duggan's family that I would be addressing this issue with the Met and that, if necessary, this would become part of our investigation."

The commission urged people to be "patient while we seek to find answers to the questions raised by this incident".

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Steve Kavanagh, of the Metropolitan Police, said there had been meetings with community representatives at both London and local levels but admitted the police should have helped the IPCC come closer to the family more quickly.

Speculation that Mr Duggan was "assassinated" in an execution style involving a number of shots to the head was "categorically untrue", the commission added.

Duggan's brother Shaun Hall told Sky News that the family was "devastated" by his death and dismissed as "utter rubbish" claims he had shot at police.