The playing future of All Blacks fullback Leon MacDonald remains unresolved though indications are the concussion-prone 56-test veteran intends to continue his rugby career.

The Canterbury Rugby Union today said MacDonald was continuing his recovery from his latest head knock — sustained during the All Blacks’ 28-30 defeat to South Africa in Dunedin on July 12.

Reports a final decision on the 30-year-old’s future was to be made on Thursday was denied by the union, which issued a statement saying MacDonald was still working his way through the rehabilitation programme associated with suffering “complex” concussion.

MacDonald has been training with the Canterbury provincial squad for the past month and was currently on non-contact training, the fourth step of a six-pronged recovery process.

The next stage is contact training followed by playing — though MacDonald is thought unlikely to play for Canterbury in the Air NZ Cup.

MacDonald has been in regular contact with All Blacks doctor Deb Robinson though it was Canterbury’s medical director Steve Muir that detailed MacDonald’s status.

` `Leon is progressing well. He has been showing steady signs of improvement, especially in the last fortnight,” Muir said.

“As with any concussion incident there’s no definitive time frame for his return. He is going through our standard protocols for a return to play at some stage.

“Concussion symptoms can be very subtle and different players can come through at different rates so a complete recovery can take some time. Leon is very happy with where he is at and he is looking forward to making further progress.”

MacDonald has been shielded from media since Robinson initially outlined his predicament in late July after the fullback was forced to withdraw from the second Tri-Nations test against Australia.

The rugged defender has been plagued by concussion issues since his first class debut 11 seasons ago, a series of head knocks in 2002-03 prompted a break from the sport.

Meanwhile, former All Blacks centre Casey Laulala is also nearing a return to contact training after breaking his left arm during Canterbury’s pre-season programme on July 12.

He is expected to return to full training next week and could feature in the latter stages of the competition.