Egypt’s Sharm el-Sheikh is still under attack from sharks – a 70-year-old German woman the latest victim after a shark killed her by ripping her arm off on Saturday.
Last week, four other holidaymakers were also attacked by sharks and sustained horrific injuries, leading to closure of the resort’s beaches.
Authorites had reopened the beaches, saying that two sharks – an oceanic whitetip and a mako – had been caught and that the Red Sea was now safe for swimming again. After Saturday’s attack it may be sometime before the resort’s water are again given the all-clear.
British woman Ellen Barnes told The Sun she was in the water when the German woman was attacked.
“I have never felt pure terror like that. The water was churning like I was in a washing machine,” she said.
“The shark was thrashing and tearing at this poor woman and I could barely keep my head above the water it was so choppy.
“And the swimmer was screaming ‘Help me. help me’ in English. It was spine-chilling. I just threw myself on to the beach.”
Richard Pierce, chairman of the Shark Trust and the Shark Conservation Society, told the Daily Telegraph that Sharm el-Sheikh’s spate of shark attacks was unprecedented.
“For either of these species to make repeated attacks on humans is unheard of – they simply do not go around attacking people for fun. Behind this, there is undoubtedly some kind of human trigger,” he said.
“It is also very important to realise that both these species are endangered and you would not expect to see either of them as far north as Sharm el-Sheikh at this time of year.”
GOING TO SHARM EL-SHEIKH, EGYPT ANYTIME SOON?