The two-Michelin star restaurant in the Danish capital of Copenhagen has revealed that the poisoning suffered by some of it’s customers was a form of nonvirus, a stomach bug that had been bought into the kitchens by a member of staff.

Over a five day period over 60 paying customers fell ill, said Danish health officials.

As part of the reimbursement package, Noma have offered the customers affected the choice of a total refund or a free meal.

Noma has been the top ranked restaurant in the world for the last three years but has been left red faced by the food nonovirus debacle.

Danish health inspectors have criticised the restaurant for having lax hygiene standards and not reacting quickly enough when one a staff member fell ill. 

The Noma menu costs $250 a head, with drinks costing extra.

Image: Getty