Siddle claimed figures of 4-50 in the second innings – 9-104 from 51.3 overs for the match – but the Aussies’ first win of the summer was marred by the allegations from the losing side to ICC match referee Chris Broad.
After Michael Clarke’s side secured the 137-run victory at Blundstone Arena, it was revealed that footage of Siddle and opener Ed Cowan with the ball was sent to International Cricket Council headquarters in Dubai.
The ICC was quick to pour water on the accusations, releasing a statement saying the game’s umpires saw no evidence of tampering after frequent inspections of the ball during the match.
Broad has 24 hours to investigate further and act on the claims by Sri Lankans.
Siddle said: “That is a ridiculous statement. There’s a picture going around on Twitter, but on Twitter you can say what you want and there’s no consequences.
“If you took a picture of every time I turn around and run into bowl, it will look exactly like that same picture.”
He found it absurd that anyone would attempt to cheat in this era and joked: “I thought today if I ran out there and ball tampered in front of 15 cameras and a lot of people watching the game I will get away with it.”
“Why would I want to jeopardise that when I know we can go out there and do everything in the spirit of the game and win?”
Skipper Clarke said he had been informed by the ICC that there was nothing in the allegations.
“I 100 per cent believe we always play in the spirit of the game, I don’t think any of the Australian players would ever jeopardise that or do anything to ruin our reputation,” he said.
“We play hard on the field but we understand there is a line you can’t cross and we play the right way.”
Referee Broad said the umpires “found no evidence to suggest that the condition of the ball had been changed”.
“During the tea interval on [Sunday], I spoke with Australia coach Mickey Arthur and told him that the umpires will continue to inspect the cricket ball regularly, and monitor the actions of all players.
“In the opinion of the umpires, there was no evidence to suggest that the condition of the ball was changed, or that the video or photographic evidence would support a charge under the Code of Conduct, so they will not be laying any charges relating to these incidents.”
Images via Getty