The Netherlands is a common destination for those who want a new working environment to be in. An easy way to find accommodation for rent in Rotterdam, if that is a city you wish to work in, is to apply for living accommodations ahead of time. However, this may come important if you decide you want to stay later on, rather than a rushed decision where to live in. 

However, being able to work in the Netherlands for a long time depends on what papers you have when travelling. It also depends on what your nationality is. 

For those around the EU, a Schengen visa is normally required when travelling in any country in the Schengen region. This is for a short-term stay, normally a maximum of 90 days. Other nationalities are exempt such as the following:

  •  EEA – EU + Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway
  • Switzerland

For those who are planning to work long-term in the country, there are a few work permit visas available, and these are listed below. 

  • The Single Permit

A single permit is submitted by your employer if you are to stay for a short period of time. However, to be given the permit, you need to have a competitive salary, and your employer needs to submit information about the company that you are to be working in, along with your contract, and the recruitment process you went through to get the position. 

  • Highly Skilled Migrants

Highly skilled migrants in the Netherlands are commonly associated with the knowledge sector. 

If this is the route that you are taking to inevitably work in the country, a separate work permit in the Netherlands is not required. Instead, it will be included into your residence permit. In short, all you have to apply for is a residence permit. 

To apply, you will need an employment contract that should last at least four months with a competitive salary based on age. If you are above 30 years old, your salary should average EUR 4,240 a month; less than 30 needs to earn at least EUR 3,108 monthly. On the other hand, a new graduate under an orientation year should be earning at least EUR 2,228 a year. 

  • Self-Employed and Freelance Workers

In order to enter the country to set-up a business, you should be able to prove to the Dutch authorities that it is a service essential to the interest of the Dutch. On the other hand, if you are a freelancer, a list of work lined up for you needs to be provided. 


Working in another country is daunting and having the right paperwork to live legally is essential to reduce the stress you have. Depending on the time you are staying in the country, you can start arranging your room or apartment for rent in Rotterdam in advance.