So what was the funniest joke this year?
“I heard a rumour that Cadbury is bringing out an oriental chocolate bar. Could be a Chinese Whispa.”
A collection of 30 jokes were picked out by a group of ten comedy critics and then put to a public vote. 3,000 comedy fans decided on their Top 10, with Auton winning the top prize in what is only his second time at the festival.
The top ten rib-ticklers are as follows:
1. Rob Auton – “I heard a rumour that Cadbury is bringing out an oriental chocolate bar. Could be a Chinese Wispa.”
2. Alex Horne – “I used to work in a shoe-recycling shop. It was sole-destroying.”
3. Alfie Moore – “I’m in a same-sex marriage… the sex is always the same.”
4. Tim Vine – “My friend told me he was going to a fancy dress party as an Italian island. I said to him ‘Don’t be Sicily’.”
5. Gary Delaney – “I can give you the cause of anaphylactic shock in a nutshell.”
6. Phil Wang – “The Pope is a lot like Doctor Who. He never dies, just keeps being replaced by white men.”
7. Marcus Brigstocke – “You know you are fat when you hug a child and it gets lost.”
8. Liam Williams – “The universe implodes. No matter.”
9. Bobby Mair – “I was adopted at birth and have never met my mum. That makes it very difficult to enjoy any lapdance.”
10. Chris Coltrane – “The good thing about lending someone your time machine is that you basically get it back immediately.”
While coming in at number four on the best joke list, comedian Tim Vine also cropped up on the worst joke of this year’s Fringe, for this stinker: “I once did a gig in a zoo. I got babooned off.”