Amy Winehouse died of alcohol poisoning, the inquest into her death has found.

The singer, who died aged just 27, was more than five times the legal drink-drive limit at her death, it emerged.

The coroner told the inquest that Winehouse had 416mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood. The driving limit is 80mg.

The coroner recorded a verdict of misadventure.

Police recovered three bottles of vodka – two large and one small – at the Camden home where her body was found.

It is understood that the amount of alcohol in her system would have been enough to stop her breathing and send her into a coma.

The pathologist who carried out the post-mortem said that a person would lose control of their reflexes at 200mg per 100ml of blood, and that 350mg was considered fatal.

The St Pancras coroner, Suzanne Greenway, said: “She had consumed sufficient alcohol at 416mg per decilitre [of blood] and the unintended consequence of such potentially fatal levels was her sudden and unexpected death.”

The post-mortem showed no traces of illegal drugs.

Winehouse had apparently hit the bottle after three weeks of abstaining from alcohol.

Winehouse’s live-in guard, Andrew Morris, had checked on the star at 10am on the day she died and assumed she was asleep. It was only when he checked on her again at 3pm that he discovered she had died.