Charlie Sheen has thanked his fans for their support during his recent troubles.
The actor admitted he “has a lot of work to do” in his first statement since he was hospitalised following a drug-fuelled night with several porn stars.
The actor compared himself to a fellow star, the infamous womaniser and heavy drinker Errol Flynn. Flynn died in 1959 at the young age of 50 after suffering a heart attack following a binge in Canada.
Sheen’s TV show, Two And A Half Men is effectively on hiatus after the actor voluntarily checked into rehab.
The actor said in a statement released by his publicist to Us magazine: “I have a lot of work to do to be able to return the support I have received from so many people.
“I want to say, ‘thank you’ to my fellow cast members, the crew of Two And A Half Men, and everyone at CBS and Warner Bros. for their concern and support.”
“Like Errol Flynn, who had to put down his sword on occasion, I just want to say, ‘Thank you’, ” the actor added. “And to my fans, your good wishes have touched me very much.”
Charlie Sheen’s statement was issued hours after the Los Angeles Fire Department released recordings of emergency calls in an incident which took place and led to Sheen’s admission to hospital last week.
The star’s neighbour and friend Dr Paul Nassif – husband to Real Housewives Of Beverly Hills star Adrienne Maloof – called 911 in the early hours of Thursday morning.
In the released recording, Dr Nassif said he had received a call from Sheen’s residence and spoke with a secretary who sounded worried about the 45-year-old actor.
Dr Nassif said: “They said don’t call 911, but I got (Sheen) on the phone and he was very, very intoxicated, also apparently in a lot of pain.”
Charlie Sheen was taken to a Los Angeles hospital and was released later that day.
His publicist, Stan Rosenfield, explained that the actor had a history of hernia problems. He confirmed that Sheen was undergoing rehab, but did not say why.
Sheen is said to be undergoing rehab treatment in his own home after refusing to check into a treatment facility.
According to his representative he is intending to be back on the set of Two And A Half Men by the end of the month.
“My understanding is that he will be back on the set at the end of February,” his agent told the New York Daily News.