“As a tenant you have the right to have your accommodation kept in a reasonable state of repair,” the Citizens Advice Bureau says.

This means that your landlord is responsible for making sure things like water, gas and electricity are working properly, whether mentioned in your tenancy agreement or not.

Your landlord is responsible for repairs to:

  • Basins, sinks, baths and toilets.
  • Water and gas pipes and electrical wiring.
  • Fxed and water heaters.
  • The structure and exterior of the premises, such as walls, floors and window frames as well as drains, gutters and external pipes.
  • Major structural repairs.
  • Common parts of the building such as stairwells, lifts and gardens.

Meanwhile if the landlord has supplied appliances such as a washing machine or cooker that has broken down, the landlord must repair or replace it (unless the appliance’s failure is due to the tenant’s negligence).


Any gas or electrical items provided by the landlord must be safe.

Your landlord must arrange an annual check-up for gas appliances, such as boilers and is is also responsible for paying for any necessary work to be carried out on the appliance. Other safety matters include mandatory fire resistant furniture if the property comes furnished.

Entry Rights

Renters are entitled to 24 hours’ notice if the landlord wishes to enter the premises for inspection and the landlord should always ask for permission.


You need a court order to be evicted, not just a notice from your landlord.

You have the right to stay in the accommodation until the tenancy agreement term ends, unless the landlord can convince the court there are reasons for eviction such as unpaid rent or damage to the property.

Wear and Tear

Tenants are not responsible for general wear and tear on furniture and contents, for example if the carpet becomes worn due to the result of normal use.

“If the extent of the wear and tear means that it causes a hazard, for example, springs in an armchair begin to stick through the upholstery, your landlord should repair or replace such items,” the Bureau says.