A Schoolboy was yesterday convicted of bludgeoning to death 15-year-old Rebecca Aylward to win a free breakfast from his friends.

Joshua Davies,16, lured Aylward, his ex-girlfriend, to a wood where he battered her with a rugby ball-sized rock.

He was found guilty by a jury which deliberated for three days.

Cheers erupted from the victim’s family in public gallery as the verdict was read. Impassive Davies broke down.

The judge, Mr Justice Lloyd Jones, warned Davies he would be sentenced later for an “indefinite duration”.

Justice Jones agreed to Davies being identified for the first time, saying: “This is a crime in a small and closely-knit community and it is right that the public should know there has been a conviction and who has been convicted.”

After the hearing, Aylward’s family said: “The pain and horror of losing Rebecca in such horrendous circumstances cannot be put into words.

“Rebecca was killed in a senseless and barbaric act. She died at the hands of someone she loved and trusted. We will never forget what he did to her or forgive him for destroying our family.”

Baby-faced Davies was described as sadistic and obsessed with murder. He had a brief relationship with Rebecca in 2009. Her parents even saw him as a role model for the family’s younger son.

On the day of the murder, in October last year, Aylward put on a new dress in preparation for a date with Davies, thinking they would get back together.

But the whole time, Davies had been plotting her death and joking about it with friends he regularly met for breakfast in a café in the Welch village of Aberkenfig.

In a text to a friend, he asked: “What would you do if I actually did kill her?”. He got the reply: “Oh, I would buy you a free breakfast.”

Two days before the murder, Davies sent a text saying: “Don’t say anything but you may just owe me a breakfast.” His friend replied, “Best text I have ever had mate. Seriously, if it’s true I am happy to pay for a breakfast. I want all the details. You sadistic bastard.”.

After the murder, Davies told his friends: “She was facing away from me and I thought: This is it, I’m going to go for it. I tried to break her neck. She was screaming so  I picked up the rock and started to hit her with it. The worst part was feeling and seeing her skull give way.’

Davies denied murder during his trial at Swansea Crown Court. He blamed it on a friend who was with him in the wood. Richard Killick, senior crown prosecutor, said: “Only the defendant truly know what motivated him to commit such an act.”