Apparently all reptiles can function up to an hour after losing a body part – or even their entire body. 

According to snake expert Yang Hong-Chang, the Indochinese spitting cobra, which the chef was preparing for a delicacy dish, was technically dead, but would have still had reflexes, enabling it to bite the hand of the man that killed it, injecting him with deadly venom.

It happened as the chef, named Peng Fan, threw the snake’s head in the bin, and unfortunately Fan died before medical assistance arrived, who could have saved him with anti-venom.

In Asia, eating snakes is commonplace, but police have said this was an “unusual incident” and “a tragic accident”.

Restaurant guest Lin Sun told the Daily Mirror: “We were in the restaurant having a meal for my wife’s birthday when suddenly there was a lot of commotion.

“We did not know what was happening but could hear screams coming from the kitchen.

“There were calls for a doctor in the restaurant but unfortunately by the time medical assistance arrived the man had already died. After we heard that we did not continue our meal.”

We don’t blame them.

Image: Thinkstock