If you need some cash, want to work flexible hours but aren’t too eager to do any training then you probably can’t do much better than trying to pick up some casual work. But what roles come under casual labouring? Well, the list is endless but removers, drivers, farm-hands, cleaners all come under the heading. 

If any of these jobs sound like your cup of tea, you’ll want to know what the requirements are. “Most of our positions don’t require any formal qualifications, but if you are considering work on a construction site you’ll need to get a Green Card,” says Roger Johnson, company director at Infront Staffing. 

However, if construction is not your game, then an ever-growing tourism and events industry means it’s getting easier to bag a job that could get you into some great events in the process. Another bonus is that you’ll generally be working with like-minded travellers, rather than being stuck in an office photocopying for a room full of middle-aged Aussies.

“We largely recruit casuals,” says Jackie Taylor, of Douglas Site Services, who have offices inSydney and Melbourne. “Work can vary from scrubbing kitchens, setting up staging for concerts, cleaning and waste management at festivals.”

Keen boarders and skiers should take note, casual labour is also one of the easiest ways to work a snow season. “We are about to kick off recruitment for the winter season,” says Taylor.

“We will be in Mt Hotham in Victoria, overseeing the housekeeping for the ski resort up there. We’ll be recruiting for housekeepers, area managers and supervisors.” Training is given on the job so experience isn’t essential.

The cash is generally between $16 and $18 per hour and the great thing for travellers is that flexibility is the most important thing. Good job being cool and casual is what us travellers are all about.