Tier 5 visa question about work and flight tickets

Q:I’m coming to London on the Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme visa in late Oct or early Nov. Can I buy a one-way ticket from Australia to London and book an onward or return journey at a later date and still be within the visa conditions? Or do I need to have a return/ onward ticket? Also, are there any restrictions on the type of work I can do while I’m in the UK? Does my employer have to have any special permission to employ me because I’ll be on a Tier 5 visa?

A:  As a successful applicant you will be free to do whatever work you like during your stay in the United Kingdom except for self-employment (subject to certain exceptions), working as a professional sportsperson (including as a sports coach) or working as a doctor in training.  You may also
engage in privately funded studies, voluntary work and au pair placements. 

There must be no recourse to public funds. There is no legislation pertaining to the requirement for a return flight ticket at the time of entry into the UK based on the time frame allowed by the Tier 5 YMS.

» For more, see 1stcontact.com.

To ask a question about getting started or moving on email realitycheck@tntmagazine.com