UK visa for children

Q: I live in the UK on an Ancestry Visa with my husband and daughter who are both dependents. Three weeks ago, I gave birth to a baby girl, who was born in the UK. I am wondering how/where we apply for her visa. The UK Border Agency website seems to automatically assume that applicants are living outside the UK – and it doesn’t give the option of applying from within the UK. Do I need to set up an appointment to apply in person?

Megan Franklin, via

A: You can make an application for conditions in line with your Ancestry Visa by submitting a postal application to the UK Border Agency from within theUK. You will need to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds available to maintain yourselves without recourse to public funds. And you must also be able to demonstrate that you are meeting the conditions of this visa by engaging, or intending to engage, in employment or self-employment in the UK.

Marissa Murdock, expert,

» For more info, see

To ask a question about getting started or moving on send us an email to