This is what 66-year-old Margaret Goodwin found when a rhubarb chutney she’d received from a friend caused an explosion in her home.

Stored in the fridge for five days it fermented and produced enough methane to blow off the fridge door, lift the ceiling and create cracks along the top of her house wall, living room and porch.

Asleep in her home in Henley-on-Thames, UK, at the time she believes she made a lucky escape.

“If I had been standing in the way, it would probably have killed me,” Goodwin said, according to the Telegraph.

“The noise was absolutely deafening, even in my bedroom, and when I went to investigate, I wasn’t sure at first what had happened. We don’t have gas in the building but it was obvious something out of the ordinary had happened. I was quite shaken up.”

At least she can be grateful her friend only gave her a rather pitiful ramekin-sized portion.

Image: Getty