Q. I would like to ask something about applying Permanent Residence and Indefinite Leave to Remain in UK. I will be working in UK for five years at the end of this January. Two-and-a-half years under a UK work permit (UK Tier2) and two-and-a-half under a HSMP (UK Tier1). I passed the life in UK test in Oct 2010.

Am I qualified to apply for Permanent Residence and Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK?

A. Once you have completed five continuous years residency on a combination of Work Permit, HSMP and/or Tier 1, you would be able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

The application can be submitted 28 days prior to your five-year residency period, provided that you have not spent any periods in excess of three months away from the UK at one time, and have not spent more than six months outside the UK in total during the five-year period.

Any time spent in the UK on visas other than the above (such as a student visa, training visa or working holiday visa) will not count towards this five-year qualifying period.

For more, see 1stcontact.com

> If you’ve got a question about finances or visas, email realitycheck@tntmagazine.com